Position type: Full-time
Reports to: Director of External Engagement
Location: Hybrid; DC metro area preferred
Expected Start Date: August 1, 2023
The One America Movement’s mission is to build a united American society by eliminating toxic polarization. Our vision is a resilient, strong, and united country working together to solve our common challenges. One America Movement brings people together across religious, racial, political, and cultural divides to address pressing issues in their communities. We train religious leaders on the science and dynamics of division, supporting them in leading their communities through this difficult climate of division and fear. We are building a national, transpartisan movement of Americans who are frustrated with broken politics and divisive narratives and believe we can do better.
Our board and staff represent the diversity of constituencies with which we engage. We are committed to hearing and acting on the views and experiences of a range of individuals and building a dynamic and diverse organization that challenges itself even as it challenges the country.
ONE AMERICA MOVEMENT DIRECTOR OF EXTERNAL ENGAGEMENT:
One America Movement seeks a passionate and results-driven individual to develop and lead our strategic approach to organizational innovation, relationship cultivation, partnership management, and event administration. Reporting to the Vice President of Advancement, the Director of External Engagement is a member of One America Movement’s Sr. Leadership team and will lead a team of (currently) three direct reports. This individual will be an integral driver of organizational growth by serving as a lead external champion of the organization’s high-level collaborations, engagements, and partnerships with national/regional faith organizations and denominations, bridge-building organizations, corporate and academic/research partners, and more. Further, the Director of External Engagement and their team play a critical role in supporting their colleagues in the Programs Department in achieving their external affairs goals while also playing a vital role in ensuring they strategically integrate with the Communications and Development Teams to optimize the effectiveness of the Advancement Department.
External Engagement Strategy Development and Implementation
- Work closely with the VP of Advancement and the broader leadership team to design and implement a comprehensive external engagement strategy.
- Serve as a senior external representative of the vision, mission, and work of the organization working with key external partners and donors as needed.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with national religious organizations relevant to One America Movement’s work (including traditionally “evangelical” Christian denominations and institutions, predominately African-American Christian denominations, “Mainline” Christian denominations, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim institutions, and more).
- Develop and lead a partnership strategy to leverage relationships with national religious leaders, bridge-building organizations, corporations, service partners, and academic institutions.
- Draft and execute concept notes, memorandums of understanding (MOUs), and scopes of work (SoWs) with new and existing partner organizations, as appropriate.
- Manage the partnerships to programs pipeline, including overseeing staff managing small projects with new partners.
- Establish clear team goals consistent with organizational priorities and set clear performance standards and benchmarks for success.
Organizational and Team Leadership
- Actively participate in the process to set strategic initiatives organization-wide.
- Engage collaboratively as a member of the Sr. Leadership Team to ensure that external engagement and external relations objectives and available resources align with the One America Movement mission.
- Contribute to the organization’s effort to expand and diversify the donor base to meet fundraising goals.
- Participate in the annual budget process on behalf of the External Engagement Team, and work with the accounting department to track and manage the team’s budget spend.
- Support the development and implementation of a strategy for large-scale convenings and conferences/summits and program-level locally and regionally-based trainings and events.
- Support the development and oversee the implementation of sub-strategies and work plans of the External Engagement team members, including supporting staff to meet agreed-upon goals and objectives.
- Lead the annual RRE and performance appraisal process for members of the external engagement team.
- Manage, coach, and develop a cross-functional team.
Core Competencies & Demonstrated Abilities
- Ability to effectively develop and implement a high-level strategy for partnership, outreach, and growth that intersects with broader organizational strategic plans and goals.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial in efforts to build the organization, not just a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills across political, religious, and racial divides.
- Proven experience leading successful teams through goal setting, accountability, collaboration, and constructive feedback.
- Ability to create positive professional relationships across a wide range of working styles and backgrounds.
- Be entrepreneurial, resourceful, and proactive in problem-solving.
- Ability to represent the organization effectively with partners across religious, racial, and political divides.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience and at least eight (8) years of professional experience. Ten or more years is preferred.
- Proficiency in Google Suite.
Other Useful Qualifications
- Knowledge of specific religious traditions, cultures, and practices and experience working with faith communities.
- Basic understanding of the dynamics of divisiveness in American society and the intersections with race and religion.
- Flexibility and good humor.
LOCATION: Remote; Washington, DC metro area preferred.
The salary for this position is $90,000 – $100,000 annually, with growth potential. Generous benefits package includes medical/dental/vision coverage, retirement matching, professional development support, flexible work hours and location, and generous vacation time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
The One America Movement provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, alienage/citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition/carrier status, national origin, disability condition, marital status, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. In addition, the organization affirmatively seeks to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity as it applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
HOW TO APPLY: Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of External Engagement” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled.