Position type: Full-time
Reports to: VP of Advancement
Location: Remote; DC Metro Area preferred
Expected Start Date: February 1, 2023
About the One America Movement:
The One America Movement’s mission is to build a united American society by eliminating toxic polarization. Our vision is a resilient, strong, and united country working together to solve our common challenges. The One America Movement brings people together across religious, racial, political, and cultural divides to address pressing issues in their communities. We train religious leaders on the science and dynamics of division, supporting them in leading their communities through this difficult climate of division and fear. We are building a national, transpartisan movement of Americans who are frustrated with broken politics and divisive narratives and believe we can do better.
Our board, staff, and leadership circle represent the diversity of constituencies we engage. We are committed to hearing and acting on the views and experiences of a range of individuals and building a dynamic and diverse organization that challenges itself even as it challenges the country.
The Communications Director (CD) will lead the development and implementation of the One America Movement’s communications strategy, shaping the central voice and messages of the organization, identifying appropriate channels for communication, and supporting the Programs and Advancement Departments to meet the mission to eliminate toxic polarization. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to not only increase reach but also play a significant role in the organization’s efforts to shift norms and behaviors through creative communications. This position will report to the Acting Vice President of Advancement.
Education and Responsibilities:
- Work with senior leaders to hone the One America Movement voice, identify messages for key constituent groups, and develop a strategy for improving reach and engagement.
- Develop specific strategies to leverage print and digital media, the web, marketing collateral, and other prioritized channels and products to change narratives of political polarization in the United States.
- Lead the organization in the creation of the annual report.
- Collaborate with the Senior Director of Programs to develop distribution strategies for Faith Over Division, One America Movement’s initiative to reach a broad audience with resources to support faith leaders to act against polarizing forces.
- Track and measure engagement across channels and adapt strategies and approaches accordingly.
People Management and Leadership:
- Manage the Communications team to implement strategies and approaches.
- Work across the organization to gather stories of One America Movement’s work from the Programs and Advancement Departments.
- Build the capacity of staff across the organization to use “Start With Why” to present their work with The One America Movement.
- Contribute to the organization’s culture of accountability, flexibility, and challenge, representing the Communications Team on Leadership.
- Oversee the development and management of all communications channels, including the website, blog, social media, and online learning portal.
- Manage contracts with external web designers, videographers, and print designers as needed.
- Write and/or copy edit op-eds, blogs, and press releases and work with the Content Manager to equip and mobilize One America Movement’s board, staff, and project participants to write in the One America voice on behalf of the organization.
- Act as the main liaison with the press, pitching stories and following up as needed.
- Represent the One America Movement at events, meetings, and conferences.
- Communications strategy development and implementation with particular emphasis on communicating for a variety of distinct audiences.
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills across political, religious, and racial divides.
- Entrepreneurial, solution-oriented, self-starter, able to work independently to create and implement new initiatives.
- Lead the formation and execution of organizational voice and brand to successfully speak to a variety of audiences.
- Design and implement communications monitoring and evaluation that feeds into organizational metrics of success.
- Manage the development of digital platforms, including websites, social media, and online learning tools.
- Supervise a team of communications professionals and work effectively across teams.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience and at least eight (8) years of professional experience; ten or more years preferred.
● Proficiency in Google Suite and a range of Social media platforms.
Other Useful Qualifications:
● Flexibility, good humor
● Knowledge of specific religious traditions, cultures, and practices and/or experience working with faith communities
● Basic understanding of the dynamics of divisiveness in American society and the intersections with race and religion
Remote; Washington, DC metro area preferred. Occasional travel is required.
The salary for this position is $80,000 – $99,000 annually, with potential for growth. Generous benefits package includes medical/dental/vision coverage, retirement matching, professional development support, flexible work hours and location and generous vacation time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
One America Movement provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, national origin, disability condition, marital status, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. In addition, the organization affirmatively seeks to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity as it applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the words Communications Director in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled.